Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

7.22.2018

Utah Valley Marathon

After running the Salt Lake City marathon I knew I wanted to run another one to see if I could figure out my leg cramping problem. I researched a lot and discovered it was the opposite problem. This whole time I was thinking my legs cramped because I needed electrolytes. Really though I was dehydrated and needed more water. After figuring that out I wanted to put my suspicions to the test. So I signed up for the Utah Valley marathon. I never thought I would run that race. Why would I want to run a canyon that I drove up driving in my whole life. Also, the canyon has lots of hills and is not the easiest course. I've now realized that you can't appreciate going down the hill if you don't have the uphills. I really feel like I've accomplished something difficult when I run up the hill or mountain and then back down. This is compared to a whole winter of running flat roads around west Lehi. I got really excited for the Utah Valley marathon because I knew it would challenge me. The training also got more exciting running from my house half way up Suncrest and back.

The race expo was awesome! The kids all got to decorate hats and lots of other free swag.




The start line was 8 miles off highway 189 in Wallsburg. It was a chilly morning but appreciated so I wouldn't have to run too much in the heat.


I drank water every station. I wasn't really thirsty for the first few stations but just drank it to stay hydrated. Then by mile 9 I had just run up a big hill in the sun and was thirsty. From then on I was so thirsty the whole race. I filled up my water bottles each station starting at mile 13. That slowed me down a little at each station but I didn't get any leg cramps. Even from mile 22 to the finish when I would normally have lots of leg cramps I was completely fine. I was tired but no leg cramps! I finished in 4 hours exactly. I wish I could have been faster but I was so happy that I didn't cramp up and that was a win. Seventh marathons a charm. I would love to run another marathon this year but my family needs more time. Marshall has so many more obligations since being called as bishop. I will probably just pick one marathon a year and that should be a good balance.