Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

5.29.2018

Salt Lake City Marathon

I ran the Salt Lake City Marathon for my second time. It was a new course and I was super excited. It started at the U of U and ran along the avenues past the cemetery where I have relatives buried. Then we went down into Memory Grove which is a beautiful ravine north of downtown Salt Lake. After it headed south and went past my grandparent's old house. Then around sugar house park and all the way to Holiday. It headed north after that and ended at the city county building.

I hurt my popliteus two weeks before the race. I was freaking out but the physical therapist reassured me I would be able to run. Thankfully I didn't have any problems with it during the race. The huge problem in my race ended up being leg cramps. All of this time I thought that I needed more electrolytes. I took electrolyte goo at mile 5 and by mile 8 my legs were so cramped up I could barely run. I prayed and prayed and was able to make it through the rest of the race. Now looking back I think the problem is too much electrolytes. I actually just need a lot more water. So we'll test that theory on the next race.

At mile 12 I knew I needed to keep a good attitude so I could finish. So I decided I would just look for the positive. That helped a lot. Marshall and the kids were at mile 17 and it was just fun to give them all high fives and enjoy having them there.

The last six miles are so hard so I dedicated those miles to each person in my family. I started with Sienna first and thought about her that whole mile. Then Taggart and so on. Marshall called me when I was at mile 23 and I told him to come run the end with me. Thanks to Betsy for watching my kids at the finish line! So by the time I got to the mile dedicated for Marshall, I actually got to run it with him and thank him and enjoy it with him. I finished in 3:26. It wasn't my fastest but I'm just happy I finished.

My friend Anna ran it too. We were together for the first 8 miles but I couldn't keep up with her after the cramping started.

The home stretch!