Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

10.13.2021

Antelope Island 10K

Marshall was itching to run a race after watching James and I run the Swiss Days 10k and then also my triathlon. So he found a 10k, signed up, trained and ran it. I told him I would go cheer him on. I was completely fine not racing. He still signed me up though. 

It was the Antelope Island 10k. I always feel weird running races where there is a half and/or full marathon option because I feel like I should be running the longer distance. I don’t feel fulfilled running the 10k. I tried to push myself hard for this 10k so I would have some level of accomplishment.

It poured rain on the drive there. Thankfully it stopped once we were on the island. It was really windy and cold though.

The course was out and back and about half of it was uphill. Definitely not a fast course to PR.

Marshall is too fast for me so he took off at the start. We each pushed hard. It went well. I loved being able to listen to music. (I couldn’t listen to music during the triathlon)

Marshall finished in 43:25, 3rd place in his age division, 6th overall men. I finished in 47:26, 1st place. It wasn’t a PR for me but stil fun to make podium.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1zwM4FYLW0oIuuPAaX7JK4fEE3KE1ffkb

It was freezing cold so I wasn’t really thinking about posing for the picture. Award goes to most awkward pose ever!
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1L5qaxJAs4dtP_5PPdnDwFHI78yXX3020
Good medal for me and bronze for Marshall. The medals were huge!
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1YmoQecfkiILQI4uE-UBxWHbV50QDY3PE

One more note for this post. The night before the race I hurt my back and couldn’t walk let alone run. It was kind of embarrassing because it was caused my shooting a soccer ball. Kade wanted to practice goalie so I took some shots on him. Then I sat and watched James’s game. When I got up to walk I could only hobble. It was painful and so crazy. I don’t know what shifted but something wasn’t aligned in my lower back. 
When I got home I took some pain meds, muscle relaxers, put a heat pack on and went to bed. When I woke up I could walk but it was still sore and uncomfortable. I took some more medicine that morning and then hoped I would be good to go for the race. Thankfully I was able to run the race. So crazy though!