Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

1.31.2013

Treasure Hunt

A few days ago James and Lynnlee had some friends over. I was trying to think of an activity to do with them. I decided to throw together a treasure hunt. We had some left over Christmas candy so it was a good excuse to get rid of it. I'm kind of embarrassed to show a picture of the treasure map and clues because it is not cute and I did not go all out. A more creative person could have a really cute treasure map and clues. I had about 5 minutes to throw it together. Good thing the kids are ages 2 and 4 so they don't need a really elegant treasure map and clues. The clues are just basic and not riddles because again, since they are little they are an easy audience to please. On the back of the treasure map it says, "Go to the living room." Then from there I placed clues all over the house. I did five clues that day so each kid could do one. Then the treasure was in a brown paper sac, the closest thing I had to a brown treasure box. They had fun and like I said, it just took a few minutes to put together. We were stuck inside today since James has a cold. He wanted to do a treasure hunt. I made up more clues to make it longer. It was a lot of fun and a nice way to pass the time when you are stuck inside.

James has been asking to do a treasure hunt every day since Monday. I think it would be fun to do a scavenger hunt with getting dressed or eating lunch just to spice things up. At each clue would be an item of clothes or food. So you would collect up everything and then have a full meal by the end or all your clothes to get dressed. Being home everyday can get repetitive and old so something like that would shake things up a little.