Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

11.04.2018

Red Ribbon Week

Last year the minis hit a good stage of behavior that made it possible for me to do more with the PTA. By the end of the year I was at the school a lot. One of the board members talked me into being in charge of Red Ribbon Week this year. I thought about it through the summer and didn't know why I agreed to it. I don't feel like a leader nor do I like to tell people what to do. When I was a kid a friend told me so much how I was too bossy. It hit deep and I've never liked leader type rolls. With all of that said, I agreed to do it so I followed through. I had a committee of willing and awesome ladies.  I tried not to be bossy but still share the responsibilities. Delegating made it manageable. Our school schedules it the week of fall break which is nice for planning because it's just three days. We decided not to go with the national theme but use our own theme: The Best Me Is Drug Free!

I had fun making these posters.

My committee did a great job making these posters.

Every room had a ribbon tied on it made from dollar store table cloths. Monday a magician came and did an assembly focused on being drug free. Tuesday we put up two sets of nine square. It was a huge hit. The principal liked it so much that she's getting some made for the school. Wednesday there was a trivia game of pictures of medication and candy. You had to guess if it was medication or candy.



Each day had a theme. Wednesday was crazy hair day. Marshall was awesome and helpful and did everyone's hair.





The minis wanted to be included as well.


Monday the students signed a pledge and then we had it hanging up by the office. It was fun watching students go back and look at it and find their names.
I love being involved at school. It's fun being in the loop and I have made so many friends. Also, a previous post I talked about going to the temple every week. I just want to say how much it has blessed my life. I definitely had some stress being in charge of Red Ribbon Week but I feel like it was so much less than it should have been. I feel a calm over all of my life each day of times I should be stressed but I'm not. I really think it's one of the many blessings of increasing my temple attendance. God is good and it makes me want to keep it up so I can continue to receive blessings. The theme for the week was The Best Me is Drug Free and I like to use that same theme for life and substitute the ending. The Best Me.....follows the commandments. It's not as catchy but I like myself the best when I'm trying my hardest to do what the Lord has asked me to do.