Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

3.10.2021

Dot Painted Mugs

Back in the fall sometime I accepted a calling in the young women program in my ward. Fast forward to March and I was in charge of a dot painted mug activity to go with the mug recipe cook book from a previous activity. I had never painted on mugs before so I wanted to make sure it would work and be dishwasher safe. I found permanent marker paint pens on Amazon. Marshall cut out some vinyl with the Cricut.

I found twenty white mugs at Deseret Industries. 

My kids were the guinea pigs to see if it would work. We put vinyl letters on the mugs and the kids painted dots all over with the paint pens.

Once the paint was dry we peeled of the vinyl and let it sit for 24 hours. Then we baked them in the oven at 450 degrees for an a half hour. It smelled really bad while it was baking. It was like a toxic chemical smell. 

This is how they turned out. Baking at such a high heat changed the colors a little.




A few days later James and Kade made mugs. I researched more on Pinterest and saw a blog that recommended baking them at a lower temperature for longer. We did that and their colors stayed the same. It also didn't smell while they baked. The downside was that the paint chipped off a little after washing them in the dishwasher.

The YW activity was a few days after my kids made their mugs. The activity went really well. I didn't take pictures but the young women really got into it and painted some fun colors and designs on their mugs. I would call it a success!