Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

4.15.2023

Pre FSY

I got a new calling in January. It was not a calling I saw coming. Marshall and I met with the first counselor in the stake presidency the middle of December. I figured it was for him because I was put in the primary presidency in June. I was completely shocked when I was asked to be the Stake YW president. Seriously though, so shocked. I had one of the feelings where the room got really small, I felt my blood stop and I thought it wasn't real. Then as he explained the calling I got really emotional. The thoughts going through my head were.....I don't have leadership skills, I'm a great minion, I've never had a stake calling, why would I be right for this calling, etc. So many doubts. I said yes but I left there in tears. We had to drive to Salt Lake that night and I cried on the way up and the way back. Marshall asked if I wanted to talk about it and I said no. I wasn't ready to. 

The next few days I really appreciated my "me" time swimming laps and running. I started praying about my presidency. The first counselor and secretary had only been in for a year or so, so I felt good about them staying in. Then I started thinking about a second counselor. My friend Jeanne Marie came to mind and I was ecstatic. Seriously felt so good and was so excited. It was over the holidays so she wasn't notified for a couple of weeks and it was so hard to hold it all in. Once she was notified I was so happy to be able to talk to her about it.

Our presidency was sustained on January 8th. I was super nervous and overwhelmed. I felt very emotional. I also felt very supported by my presidency and excited to work with them. 

Ward conferences were the first big thing that we planned and started attending. I helped make an outline for the youth presidency to teach the second hour lesson. I could see God's hand in it. I was suppose to work that day of the meeting with the first counselor in the stake presidency and the YW president. My internet wasn't working and my laptop also was having problems. So because I couldn't work, I made an outline for the lesson. That was a huge help. 

The first ward conference was a little shaky but worked out well. Then we improved and made small changes along the way. 

The next big thing was assigning youth to the Stake Youth Leadership Committee. Then helping them plan a pre FSY activity. The planning was during my surgery and recovery so that was a little tricky. My presidency helped a lot though.

We had the pre FSY activity on a Friday night from 5-7. We had dinner, a short speaker, get to know you games, service project, line dancing, and a treat. It went well and we were happy with the turnout.