Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

7.27.2022

Japanese Exchange Student

Sunday a friend posted that host families were needed for Japanese exchange students ASAP. A couple of hosts families dropped out and there was an immediate need. It peaked my interest since Marshall served in Japan, we’ve been to Japan and we had foreign exchange students growing up. They were positive experiences so even though I’ve never thought about hosting, I’ve also not been opposed to it.

I asked Marshall if he thought hosting was a good idea and he was game. My kids were excited, especially Lynnlee. 

We went back and forth if we should get a boy James’s age or a girl for Lynnlee. The exchange program requires you to have a child the same gender and same age or close in age. Since James is gone a lot, we decided to host a girl.

We spent Monday getting the guest room completed. We needed to put stuff on the walls, hang curtains, and clean the bedding. I love how it turned out. Nice to have motivation to get projects done.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1szRJvDNX3jGgvesK4mH5HtV1suZhCbGvhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1mL4-G_4CIWIv0hijthPmZ0VSMV401Rew

Tuesday morning the girls and I drove to South Jordan and picked up our exchange student. I was really nervous and worried and questioning it all. What if she didn't like us, what would I make for meals, how would I entertain or would she be bored with us? Once we met her my nerves calmed and I relaxed a lot.
She is super sweet and nice. The language barrier is tricky but we are figuring it out and slowly getting to know her.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_DWHsnMtQ40Ah00io93g2IKnIc36urSA