Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

7.24.2022

Training

I haven't been able to do speed running drills for about two years. I feel like I've gotten so slow. I decided to do a speed workout two weeks ago and ever since then my left hamstring and glute have been so tight. It seems like it's just getting worse but I'm totally in denial about it. Like most runners when I get injured I just keep running through it. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1wOiEp5ntwsBTMB4l7IOePqyo8Eub7_DT

This meme is pretty accurate! 

With that said, I have been training and am still trying to figure out if I will keep training or if I need to stop training and let my muscles heal. Yesterday I decided to go for a long swim and long ride because my hamstring and glute don't hurt when I swim and bike. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=11xT_k0xidedh4lN-Oe_xyuaQlrsIILgR
When I got to 800 N in Orem I couldn't clip my right shoe out. Then when I stopped to see Ali, she helped me figure out that I lost a screw in my shoe. My clip was twisted so it was impossible to clip out. Thankfully at least my left shoe could still get out so I made it home without falling over. I haven't fallen over yet but I've been told by other cyclist that everyone has at least one time when they forget to clip out before stopping and then tip over.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=17buLzyJ5uIxgamcOTeyNjXykvRBoYvP3

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1tZjDWKIMX0ccxFtEQH9o6BJ1PHWqnFuk
I felt really good by the end of the ride. I had minimal feet numbness, my neck and back weren't too sore. Nice to see that I can handle a longer ride.
 
It has been such a different summer of training. I only have last summer to compare it to. Last summer I felt strong, confident, and well prepared. This summer I feel behind, slow, less confident on my bike, and so tired. We are always up late which makes getting up early to train very difficult. 

I spent time looking up the Bear Lake Brawl from previous years and in 2020 the weather was really cold and windy. The race is late in the year and up in a colder elevation so I think it's just a cold race on average. So hopefully I can figure out in the next few weeks if I will do the race or not.