Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

8.25.2015

First Garden

I've learned a lot about gardening after having our first, official garden. In the spring I worried the area was too big and too hard to maintain but now I'm glad it's a large size so there is plenty of room to plan everything. I also found that I was able to maintain it best by picking one day a week to weed. Tuesday mornings I weeded before my kids woke up. It was hard work but enjoyable.

I have a better idea of what the different vegetable plants look like and how much room they take. Next year there are some vegetables I will plant more of and others I won't plant again. It's fun to see how excited my kids are when they see what we've grown. They love eating the carrots we grew.

Funny story about the lettuce: The lettuce was the first to grow. One night in June we were all playing outside and I started weeding the garden. Lynnlee started picking lettuce and we both ate some. We decided it needed washed because it tasted funny. Lynnlee offered to wash it. So she picks a small bowl full and goes inside the house to wash it. I assumed she was washing it in the kitchen sink. Then she brought it back out and I ate it. When I went back in the house I found lettuce all over the bathroom and she told me she had been washing it in there. I felt sick just thinking about what bathroom germs were all over the lettuce. Ha ha! I should have realized how her little mind works and she had no idea washing it in the bathroom was a bad idea.