Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

8.12.2015

Lego Party

Jameson's birthday isn't until Thursday but he celebrated with friends on Saturday last week. He wanted a Lego party since he is completely obsessed with Legos. I turned to Pinterest for help but was a little disappointed. There are lots of pictures of decorations for Lego parties but no instructions or patterns to follow. Also there weren't very many game suggestions so I had to get creative.

I saw a Lego pinata on Pinterest but that was it. I am not a creative person so I need instructions and lots of help. So I took a shoe box and cut cups down to a smaller size and hot glued them to the shoe box.

My first attempt at covering it with tissue paper was a pinterest fail. I wanted to cry because I was so stressed about everything else going on and I didn't want to spend the time I knew it would take to make it look good.

I decided to bite the bullet and stay up late fixing it. I took off the tissue paper and started over. I cut the tissue paper into small squares and rectangles and then glued each piece on with a glue stick. It took a long time. Thankfully I had a good TV show to watch while doing this. I was surprised how much my kids liked it when it was all finished. They told everyone about the Lego pinata that was home made and NOT bought at the store. That makes me happy that they appreciate it so much. I also saved $10 not buying one so maybe I will try my hand at making more pinatas in the future.


I labored for at least two hours making this sign. If you look closely you can see the circles on each paper that is suppose to make it look like Legos. I'm happy with how it turned out but it took forever!


The birthday cake is homemade with homemade Lego candies on it. I bought silicone Lego molds off Amazon and made different colors and flavors of candy. I've enjoyed making candy since I was younger so this was a fun part. My kids thought they were so cool!



The party went well with Jameson's friends. Lynnlee and Kaden got to join in on the fun too. We started out with Lego coloring pages that we used for a musical chairs type of game.


We played pin the head on the Lego man. Again, a pattern would have been helpful but Pinterest only had a picture so I had to wing it on my own. I felt like the proportions were a little off but the 7-year-olds at the party didn't seem to care. The actual game went well but the only thing I would have changed was letting each kid draw a face on their Lego head (instead of me drawing them ahead of time).


We had a few relay races. The first one was carrying a lego on a spoon without dropping it. The team with the most boys always won this race.
The second race was taking a sponge from a bucket of water and filling up a Lego cup. The team with the most girls won this relay every time.



We also let them all eat a donut from a string without using their hands. It was a lot harder for them to do than I thought it would be. This game had nothing to do with Legos but we thought it sounded like a fun game. Jameson finished first.


After they hit the pinata and had cake and ice cream. We finished with the candy bar game where you roll the dice and if you get doubles you get to unwrap the candy bar. The only tricky part is that you had to wear oven mits and use a spoon and fork to unwrap it. The kids were very competitive about his game and were really rowdy and into it.


Kaden was so tired after all of the fun that he fell asleep like this within a matter of minutes. (I was exhausted too after it was over. I took two naps on Sunday and went to bed early Sunday night)


That night we hung out while James tried out some of his birthday presents. Sienna showed off her walking.



Not only can the minis go up stairs, which they've been doing awhile, but they can also go down stairs now. We had stair boot camp last week and I took the gates down. Then I showed them over and over how to go down on their tummies. I also had James, Lynnlee and Kaden show them. By the end of the day Taggart was successfully going down on his own. The next day Sienna had figured it out too.

Jameson's birthday is Thursday so there will be more celebrating and pictures this week.