Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

9.27.2021

Chapter Out of My Life’s Book

This blog started when James was born and I think it would be really fun to go back and blog events from before it was started. So here I go at an attempt to blog about my years playing soccer. I haven’t played soccer since an intramural team at Utah State so my kids forget that I played soccer and think I’m the odd one out without a soccer game each week. So here is a chapter out of the book of my life:

My parents signed me up for rec soccer starting around age 5 following the path of the rest of my siblings. I was a stubborn kid and uncoachable at times. My coach would ask me to do things and I would just say no! I was really competitive though and did like playing. It was just on my own terms. 
I continued playing rec soccer until I was in 6th grade. I kind of got bored so I took a break for a season or two.
I made some friends in middle school who liked soccer and I started playing again. We were on a competitive team coached by my friend’s dad. 

I tried out for the high school soccer team my freshman year and made the team with my friends. It was a lot of fun! We went to soccer camp at CEU (College of Eastern Utah). I loved playing from dawn until dark for a whole week.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1mFF4owCj9HZvCMNfAKTvGd3kqDXrN7ZE
#35 (crazy hair didn't care.....apparently)

I started playing goalie because my sister Ali and brother Kasey were goalies and I wanted to be like them. I thought it was in my blood to be a fierce goalie like they each were. 
This was not to be though. I wasn’t brave or fierce enough to jump on the ball next to the opposing team’s cleat. I didn’t like how it felt to dive on the ground. So I moved to midfield and another teammate took over as goalie. She was much better suited for that position.
Midfield was my position after that. I tried out for the team my sophomore and Junior year and made it. I had a lot of lower back problems so it made it really hard to be a great player. Isn’t that just Murphy’s Law….the daughter of a Chiropractor has back problems.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1iTNXWJoKmSWKkuY-cq6la6b9mv56Aiua
#15

I loved soccer though so I played through the back pain. My bag always smelled like Icy Hot because I would lather it on before practices and games.
I went to SUU (Southern Utah University) for soccer camps during the summer after my sophomore and Junior year. It was the best! 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ahlrqrgpQusmLni8tgVH9OKb81hiOfZQ
We thought we were hardcore 😂


When it came to my senior year, my coach announced at soccer camp that if you wanted a chance at making the team it was required to run a 6:30 minute mile. I took that seriously. I started going to a personal trainer at the Fit Stop and told her I needed to get fit enough to run a 6:30 mile. I also went to the track every Saturday morning and practiced a timed mile. So between working out with the trainer and running on my own I had my mile time down to 6:30 by the time tryouts came around.
I wasn’t even worried about tryouts because I could run the 6:30 mile and I had made the team every year. I thought I had it in the bag. 
The first day of tryouts went well. The second day didn’t go so well. My coach pulled me aside and told me I was going to be cut from the team. He noticed how busy I was with school. 
Side note: I was taking college classes so I could graduate from high school with my assoicate’s defree from UVU and high school diploma at the same time. 
He said he thought it would be better if I just dropped out of soccer and focused on my studies and other extracurricular activities. I was also really involved in FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America). 
I went home from tryouts in tears. I knew I wanted to play soccer and I knew I would make time for it despite all my classes and other activities. 
Ali and I went for a run later that day and it was like therapy to talk to her all about it. I decided I was going to keep going to tryouts and play my best so coach would see I was serious about soccer. I also decided I was going to be positive, to everyone on my team, cheer them on, and even if I never got playing time I would help the team out in any way possible.
The rest of tryouts went really well and I felt like I played well. I ended up making the team! I even started about half of the games that year. It taught me a lot about attitude and determination.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=19-mXH-BpjdQheTbUW0iJBrfh2VXwEOno
#15 (I had a white jersey but they wanted me to wear yellow...??)



https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=12V2g4jlAxKv17zZsjSr28N2xvQEjyz2n
This player card was from an anti drug campaign. I always wanted black hair but my mom wouldn't let me dye it. Our compromise was black tips.

I played intramural soccer on a coed team at Utah State University my freshman year and we won 1st place and got t-shirts! 

I haven’t played much since then so I can see why my kids don’t know I play soccer. I coached Kade’s team for a few seasons but I just don’t have the coaching skills. My voice is too quiet and I’m to shy and passive. 

James’s coach talked about having a players vs. parents game. I hope there really is one because I think it sounds super fun!