Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

11.30.2021

Chewie

Life has been so crazy the last few months. Once we found out our house would be ready sooner than we thought, the madness started. Getting the house ready, packing up half of the house, cleaning, 5 busy kids and their activities, health issues, getting ready for holidays, showing, open houses, etc. 

Poor Chewie has been going through all the craziness with us. He has spent way more time in the car than ever before. We had so many showings in 3 weeks and so he spent a lot of time in the car while I ran errands or we went places as a family. We are under contract now thankfully! We had a lot of showings the day before Thanksgiving and then three offers on Black Friday! So we are under contract with two back up offers!

Now onto the bad news…and if you are not a dog/pet person then you can skip the rest of this post. 
I never thought I’d be a pet person. Then we got Chewie. Before getting Chewie I didn’t know how to sympathize with pet people. I even thought they were crazy! Now I am one of those crazy dog owners. 
Friday night Chewie was yelping in pain, and not at all like his normal self. We had no idea what was going with him. By Saturday he didn’t seem worse and maybe even seemed slightly better so I decided not to take him to a vet.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1E8H1TDB1HdjwpmWsUokkbSZC8lbSsZui
Sunday he definitely seemed worse. So Lynnlee and I took him to a pet ER in Cottonwood. It is hard to find veterinarians open on the weekends. We also learned that there are vet and vet assistant shortages just like all of the labor shortages everywhere. 

When we got to the vet they said the wait would be 4-5 hours. We had no choice but to wait considering we had no idea what was wrong with him and it looked like he wasn’t going to get through it without some kind of treatment.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1F7FfXhjVsp1rcd9iQ5LS_KEZO54-OA9h
Thankfully the wait ended up being only 2 hours. The vet diagnosed him with gastroenteritis. She gave him some fluids, pain medicine and antibiotics and sent home more antibiotics to give him at home. He seemed slightly better that night but not much.

The next morning he was worse. Didn’t even want to get out of his crate. After the kids went to school I went back to the vet. Little did I know the wait was 4 hours. So Chewie and I sat in the car waiting and waiting. It was miserable. Chewie was miserable. I felt helpless. He looked like he was going to die. So awful! So many tears!

We finally got in and the vet diagnosed him with pancreatitis. It was caused by a large piece of turkey fat that I gave Chewie during Thanksgiving dinner. Apparently fat is super hard on dogs and especially tiny dogs. 
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1hWepwPGls4l_bTcQks_iWojJE9rovVB4
So I felt awful that I caused his sickness! Thankfully the vet said it was treatable but Chewie needed to stay the night.

That night the vet called with bad news. Chewie had fluid in his lungs on his x-ray. They checked the fluid and it was blood. This was caused by Chewie ingesting rat poison. This is also my fault which was totally on accident! We have had a problem with voles. So I put some vole bait out but thought I put it out of his reach. He has an invisible fence and I thought he couldn’t get to it. Apparently he found some?!! 

Thankfully the vet said it was also treatable. So they gave him some vitamin K.

He was suppose to come home today but he is still at the vet. He hasn’t started eating yet. Hopefully he starts eating so he can come home tomorrow!

We all miss him so much! This whole thing has been emotionally draining for James, Lynnlee and me. I know he’s “just a dog” but he’s become a member of our family. He is my shadow while everyone is at school, keeps me company and runs to me when I walk in the door.

We have only had him about a year and a half. Hopefully he turns a corner and can be well enough to come home tomorrow.
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1VGXH9pqqEzHsQGic1duyGA4fhzsEWFGOhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1ESYv269hNeoFw3uy0VNHkutBIVoqqJB1

It’s hard to believe it’s December 1st tomorrow. I have really struggled getting into the Christmas spirit. There is so much going on that it’s stressful to try and figure out everything for Christmas. Here’s for hoping and praying things get better and I won’t be a Christmas Grinch all month.