Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

8.23.2020

Hiking Timp

I was so excited when Ali invited us to hike Timp with them. I haven't hiked to the top since I was a teenager. The last few summers I've had feet problems...bunions and plantar fasciitis so it wouldn't have been good to hike that far. This summer my feet are feeling great so that wouldn't stop me. The timing was perfect for Jameson and Marshall's hiking conditioning because they needed a nice long hike to get them ready for their backpacking trip. 

We met at the parking lot around 6:00am. Then started hiking at 6:30. It was a chilly morning. We were in the shade for the first two hours.

This summer I have thought a lot about modesty. Summers in Utah get hot and there are more choices surrounding clothing and being modest. In the Strength for Youth it says "Your body is God's sacred creation. Respect it as a gift from God. Through your dress and appearance you can show the Lord that you know how precious your body is." It is an outward expression of an inward commitment. When I was planning on what to wear to hike the line from a talk kept coming to me, "Nor should they remove it [the temple garment] to participate in recreational activities that can reasonably be done with the garment worn properly beneath regular clothing." Then it was obvious to me that I should wear it to hike. We are promised it will protect as well and of course I wanted protection for that day. With most activities we are going to be hot whether we are in a shirt or tank top, capris, shorts or short shorts, etc. So may as well show my commitment and wear what covers my temple. I look at other religions and cultures and their devotion to their religious clothing and it makes me want to be better so others don't have to question my beliefs. I don't want to have a list of exceptions to being modest.


Scout Falls:


Moose:
It was warm but not too hot when the sun came out.


We had to cross about seven snow fields. They were very scary. One one of them a hiker, not in our group, who was right in front of Marshall lost his footing and slid down about thirty feet. I was freaked  out inside and praying that we would all be safe.

 

It was windy at the saddle and chilly. I forgot how scary it was with drop offs on both sides. The view was amazing though.


We spotted three mountain goats at the very top of the peak to the north.

I must have said a hundred prayers from the saddle to the top. It is so steep. Just kept my eyes on the path. Love the analogy to the convenant path and this life.
James and Marshall were much faster than me on this portion.
We made it to the top at 10:30. Kasey, Andrea and family were at Emerald Lake when we were at the top so that was cool to look down and see them.

It was so cold in the booth. Marshall found a good place for us to eat lunch on the east side in the sun.
James took his "pet" Crabby with him. Most of our group made it to the top. Katie, her girls, and Lydia made it to the base of the saddle. I thought that was pretty amazing considering they live at sea level and this was a huge change in elevation for them.

On the way down we broke into smaller groups. I was with Marshall and James until the turn off for Emerald Lake. Then I decided I wanted to run the rest of the way. Since I love running it was so much fun! Plus I got down a lot faster. The whole hike round trip was 6 hours for me. I would love to go again and run up in addition to running down.  

James and Marshall hiked down at a steady pace and took some fun pictures on the way. They got to the trailhead about an hour after me.

It was so hot on the way down and the parking lot was very hot. I drank 2 liters of water total on the hike plus a small Gatorade.