Lowry Family Life

Lowry Family Life

9.07.2020

COVID House Projects

Taggart has slept in the boy's room ever since being in a toddler bed but there has never been room for his dresser. He started asking to have his dresser moved in there but there just wasn't room with a bunk bed, loft bed and dresser already in there. I experienced triple bunk beds for the first time at girls camp and realized they are pretty great. So we sold Kaden's loft bed and passed their bunk bed on to the girls. We sold the girls' white bunk bed. It wasn't as sturdy. Then the boys got a triple bunk bed. 

This led to getting closet organizers for both rooms and different dressers for the boys So we could maximize space and need less dressers.

Now I just need to get some type of toy storage or something for the boys to put their extra stuff in and their room will be complete.


The girls are loving their "new" bunk bed and closet organizer. They've gone down to one dresser which has freed up room for their doll toys/furniture.

 

I haven't ever loved our front room/music room. It hasn't had a theme or direction. After reading Joanna Gaines book "Home Body" I chose a theme for the room and went from there. Since our piano is electric I thought a modern theme would be good. We also have modern couches. I didn't want to put a lot of money into it so keeping the couches would definitely keep things on the cheap side. Then I found some book cases from Target that I liked. The book cases came while Marshall and James were back packing. I was so excited to be independent and get them put together and have the room finished when they returned home. Unfortunately one of book cases had a damaged side panel. Also there was a piece that didn't have any pre-drilled holes and the holes were varying sizes and some connected and it wasn't possible to drill them myself. I got one book case set up and loved it. I called Target and they couldn't just send me the replacement parts. The book case was out of stock so they couldn't replace it either. In the end we decided to return both and keep shopping around. 

I found matching brown book cases on KSL. They were a good deal, very sturdy, and we decided we wouldn't mind painting them. We found them on a Friday and our weekend was open for a project.

We cut corners because bought a self leveling prime and paint in one and rolled the paint on without doing anything else. We didn't sand or anything.

We rolled the paint on Friday night, added a second coat Saturday. Then let them dry the rest of the day. The paint can be easily scratched off so that is the downside of cutting corners. Since they won't be touched much in the piano room we are hoping the paint will hold up to the kiddos.



Marshall was at a liquidation store and called me about a rug there. I wasn't home but he thought the rug would match the curtains. He sent me a picture of the rug but since I wasn't home I couldn't be sure it would match. He got the rug and it matches perfectly!

Ignore the hots wheels track and cars in the picture. The next step is to rearrange the art and pictures for the walls. Here it is for now. I will thank COVID for pushing us to do these projects we otherwise wouldn't have done.